Wednesday, August 5, 2009

OCG or TCG?

Alright, as we all know, the Yu-Gi-Oh card game runs at multiple languages, being English and Japanese the most prominent ones. EN tagged sets can only be used on the eastern part of the globe whereas the JP and the newly introduced AE sets can only be used for the west.

Here is the regular TCG - EN tagged card "Black Rose Dragon"


This is the Japanese version of the card



Moving on, the only difference between the two cards is obviously the language used to tell what does the card do. They are both authentic and both tournament legal in their respective countries. This is where the problem arises. The Philippines, the country where I'm from, is majorly an English speaking country aside from its native language which is Filipino. Konami is forcing our country to play cards that belong to the OCG with incomprehensible text, at least for me and everyone who is not Japanese literate. So if a duelist from my country wants to play the game locally on organized play, he should cough up a deck in an unknown language.

As a collector and a casual duelist, I prefer my cards to be readable as a matter of personal preference. I have nothing against the OCG but hey, at least give us the chance to pit with our English cards. Language barriers aren't supposed to be part of the challenge in playing Yu-Gi-Oh right?

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm just a passer-by of your blog.

    I've played Yugioh for almost 9 years time and I feel really frustrated with the OCG and TCG matters as well.
    I was once in Hong Kong and I don't mind to have my cards with incomprehensible Japanese text as I've hold my deck for really long (Some cards i owned are ANCIENT one which you couldn't find them on the market anymore lol), but it IS a matter for me now since I'm now in Australia and the tournament here prohibited the use of Japanese OCG. This is absolutely nonsense as the cards are identical except of the text.

    I know there're dispute between Konami and Upper Deck. But as you've said,
    Language barriers aren't supposed to be part of the challenge in playing Yu-Gi-Oh... This make me sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really understand why they need to be choosy about what card to allow on their tournaments when they are exactly the same. I can understand you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This proves that you do not understand the concept of regionalism and also their ways of making profits >.<

    its understandable, card games are serious business after all... >.> they earn millions out of Yugioh and breaking the OCG-TCG system would mean they would lose money >.>

    I myself prefer the japanese cards now since they arrive earlier than the english ones XD

    ReplyDelete