Tuesday, December 8, 2009

December 5 Weekly Tournament Report

It was another Saturday, the time for everyone to play their favorite card game in my locals. I came early to check people's binders and look for certain cards that I might be able to use. I was able to buy a D.D. Crow for $3. This narrows my list of needed cards to 1 more Royal Oppression and a spare Blackwing Armed Wing to finally complete my deck. Nonetheless, I was still able to participate in the regular weeklies.

The tournament was surprisingly short with only three rounds of swiss and a cut to top 4 (13 total participants).

Blackwings v.s. Blackwings (Jovic Leovis' Son)
Game 1
I was paired by Mr. Leovis' son. I did not ask his age, but I think he is less than ten years old. I rolled in first and started to immediately put pressure on him without hesitating. He ends up using all his resources early on and I had too much advantage to lose.

Game 2
Same concept, except that I used my Sirocco's effect to steal all of the monsters in the field's attack and dropped Dark Armed Dragon.

2-0, 1-0

Blackwings v.s. Zombies (Kent Dino)
Game 1
He played Spirit Reaper early on and was able to generate advantage with it, due to me having all my Monsters either destroyed or removed from the game. He dropped Dark Armed Dragon to finish me off.

Game 2
I realized I did not add Dimensional Fissures in my Side Deck. I opened god and was able to generate so much advantage and got too carried away. He somehow dropped Dark Armed Dragon with me having a D.D. Crow in my hand, not realizing that he already had 3 Dark Monsters in his grave. He then proceeded to wipe out my field and used Burial From A Different Dimension to refill his ammo to continue and pulverize me. This was one of my most dissapointing loss in all the games I played. Good game Kent!

0-2, 1-1

Blackwings v.s. Gladiator Beast (Jovic Leovis)
Game 1
Was able to flip Royal Oppression early, and his options were running out as my advantage was continuing to multiply thanks to the two Black Whirlwinds in play that I control. He tried his best to counter my assault but was unfortunately in too much disadvantage that I won over him easily.

Game 2
Almost the same thing happened but this time he was able to blow away 2 of my Icarus Attack with 2 of his Dust Tornadoes. I still had the advantage until he Brain Control for game.

Game 3
Basically I pushed him and even though he was able to fuse for his Gladiator Beast Gyzarus, I still had cards that would destroy his deck. I flip Mirror of Oaths in the last moment to eliminate his Darius for possibly another Gyzarus summon. He was out of cards and I still had Monsters. Nice game Mr. Leovis!

2-1, 2-1

Top 4

Blackwings v.s. Zombies (Kent Dino)
Game 1
Not again! This was a really bad match up as I was again paired to the same guy who beat me before on the swiss pairings. He kept utilizing his Necro Gardnas with his Dark Grepher and I played offensively, ending up me using most of my cards midway with him still having more than 3 cards in his hand. He then exploded and I was not able to survive.

Game 2
I was finally able to push him to a corner with just a card in his hand and no cards on the field with me having a Stardust Dragon and a Book of Moon. He then tried to utilize Mezuki for Plaguespreader Zombie, then used another Mezuki for Mezuki. I used my Book of Moon to flip his Mezuki face down and luckily he played his Plaguespreader Zombie in attack position. This resulted in my victory as he had less than 3000 Life Points left.

Game 3
The deciding match. He dropped Gorz, but I was already aware of it. Then he exploded yet again with Goyo Guardian and Zombie Master. I was able to delay the constant barrage of attacks until it drew me into 50 Life Points left. Thinking I still had a chance, he tributes for Caius, the Shadow Monarch and used its effect on his own Dark Monster, burning me for game.

Closing Thoughts: Zombies are really the deck to beat today. Not only for their capacity to easily generate +1s with ease, but for their capability to explode and potentially OTK any unaware players. Spirit Reaper is also a Zombie and he really did a number against me. As this is the last tournament that I will be participating in this year, I hope that the people who read this article had enjoyed and learned something from it.

Props
D.D. Crow
Trap Stun in entry pack
Making it to Top 4

Slops
Same guy beat me twice
Did a ton of misplays here and there

List:

Monsters (21)
3 Blackwing - Sirocco the Dawn
3 Blackwing - Shura the Blue Flame

3 Blackwing - Bora the Spear

3 Blackwing - Kalut the Moon Shadow

1 Blackwing - Gale the Whirlwind

2 Blackwing - Blizzard the Far North

2 Blackwing - Vayu the Emblem of Honor

2 Dark Grepher
1 D. D. Crow

1 Dark Armed Dragon

Spells (11)
3 Black Whirlwind
2 Allure of Darkness

3 Book of Moon

1 Heavy Storm

1 Mystical Space Typhoon

1 Brain Control

Traps (8)
2 Bottomless Trap Hole
1 Torrential Tribute

1 Mirror Force

2 Icarus Attack

2 Royal Oppression


Extra Deck (15)
1 Sea Dragon Lord
Gishilnodon
1 Magical Android
1 Ally of Justice - Catastor
1 Gaia Knight, the Force of Earth

1 Goyo Guardian

1 Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
1 Blackwing Armed Wing

1 Blackwing Armor Master

1 Black Rose Dragon

1 Stardust Dragon
1 Colossal Fighter

1 Blackwing - Silverwind the Ascendant
1 Thought Ruler Archfiend
1 Red Dragon Archfiend
1 Mist Wurm

Side Deck
2 Caius the Shadow Monarch
1 Plaguespreader Zombie
2 My Body as A Shield
1 Lightning Vortex
1 Fissure
2 Mirror of Oaths
2 Royal Decree
1 Call of the Haunted
1 Trap Dustshoot
1 Waboku
1 Threatening Roar

No comments:

Post a Comment