Tuesday, January 19, 2010

January 16 Weekly Tournament Report

Saturday is "Yu-Gi-Oh!" day for me, and January 16 is no exception. Came in locals a tad bit early and handed down the payment for the usual Saturday weekly. Pairings were announced and I was fully prepared for the 3 rounds of Swiss. Then I realized I still don't have "Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer" in my Side Deck. Uh oh.

Tournament was healthy all around with more than 15 participants. Here's what I ran:


Monsters (19)
3 Blackwing - Sirocco the Dawn
3 Blackwing - Shura the Blue Flame

3 Blackwing - Bora the Spear

3 Blackwing - Kalut the Moon Shadow

1 Blackwing - Gale the Whirlwind

2 Blackwing - Blizzard the Far North

2 Blackwing - Vayu the Emblem of Honor

1 Gorz, the Emissary of Darkness

1 Dark Armed Dragon

Spells (12)
3 Black Whirlwind
2 Allure of Darkness

2 Book of Moon

1 Heavy Storm

1 Mystical Space Typhoon

1 Brain Control
1 My Body as A Shield
1 Giant Trunade

Traps (11)
2 Bottomless Trap Hole
1 Torrential Tribute

1 Mirror Force

3 Icarus Attack

2 Royal Oppression
1 Trap Dustshoot
1 Solemn Judgment

Extra Deck (15)

1 Magical Android
1 Ally of Justice - Catastor
1 Gaia Knight, the Force of Earth

1 Goyo Guardian

1 Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
2 Blackwing Armed Wing

1 Blackwing Armor Master

1 Black Rose Dragon

2 Stardust Dragon
2 Colossal Fighter

1 Blackwing - Silverwind the Ascendant
1 Mist Wurm

Round 1: "Blackwing" v.s. Flamvellsworn
Game 1
Started getting straight advantages from "Black Whirlwind" and "Blackwing - Shura the Blue Flame". Midway through he used "Rekindling" and swarmed me.

Game 2
The deck pretty much got crippled since I was able to flip "Royal Oppression" early.

Game 3
Somehow he didn't have "Honest" in his hand and my Goyo proceeded to steal all his monsters. Trap Dustshoot on the first turn removed that only "Honest" he was supposed to have in his hand. Plus I knew his hand cards.

2-1, 1-0

Round 2: "Blackwing" v.s. Zombies (Chester)
Game 1
He has a "Breaker the Magical Warrior" in play but he over extended and used up all his resources because he felt confident that I couldn't return anymore. Sad for him I "Brain Control" his Breaker and destroyed the "Swords of Revealing Light" and proceeded to Synchro for game.

Game 2
I made a huge misplay on the first turn, summoning "Blackwing - Bora the Spear" without playing my "Black Whirlwind" first. I asked him if I was able to redo my turn but he declined. He got this game.

Game 3
I drop "Dark Armed Dragon" to wipe his field. He Summons "Snipe Hunter", tried to destroy my "Dark Armed Dragon". Unfortunately, he rolled in a 6 and I respond with "Bottomless Trap Hole".

2-1, 2-0

Round 3: "Blackwing" v.s. "Gladiator Beast" ("The Beast" Jovic Leovis)
Game 1
I erase all his Monsters from the field and was able to harass further with my "Blackwing - Sirocco the Dawn". He was forced to set all his hand cards. I worked my way up to finally take game with a swarm.

Game 2
He Summon "Gladiator Beast Heraklinos" and I use up 2 Traps to destroy it, turning the duel into a top deck war. Turns out he topdeck what he sided against me: "Holy Light". Good game.

Game 3
"Royal Oppression" really hurts "Gladiator Beasts".

2-1, 3-0

Top 8: "Blackwings" v.s. NecroChaos
Game 1
I "Trap Dustshoot" early to remove his "Battle Fader". I saw Tragoedia though. He "Gold Sarcophagus" for "Necroface", removing a lot of cards from his deck and mine. He beat me down with "Dimension Alchemist" and finally got game with the "Caius the Shadow Monarch" from his hand.

Game 2
I was able to double "Black Whirlwind" early on and he couldn't recover from all the advantage I was able to obtain. He scoops.

Game 3
I Dustshoot again and removed the only summon-able monster from his hand, "Cyber Dragon". The rest were "Dark Armed Dragon", "Chaos Sorcerer", "Caius the Shadow Monarch" and "Dimensional Alchemist". Without any Spell or Trap in his hand, my "Gorz, the Emissary of Darkness" destroyed him.

2-1

Top 4: "Blackwing" v.s. Twilight (Kai)
Game 1
He use up his deck, dropped "Judgment Dragon" but I flipped "Royal Oppression". I Synchro for "Blackwing Armor Master" and he was running out cards in his deck.

Game 2
He FTK me with 2 "Judgment Dragon" and "Chaos Sorcerer"

Game 3
I got scared of him having "Heavy Storm" and did not set my "Royal Oppression". He FTK me again with the same setup from game 2.

Closing Thoughts: Jovic won over Kai in the end, making him the Champion yet again. I could have stood a chance at becoming a Champion if I did not hesitate to set my "Royal Oppression". Part of this logic was because this is the first time I was able to face a "Lightsworn" deck and did not know how to play around them. I was playing conservatively not knowing that they can OTK at any given time. Firsthand experience at tasting the reason why "Lightsworn" and friends has got to go this coming March.

Props
Undefeated in Swiss
4th Place in locals
"Trap Dustshoot" is a beasty tech

Slops
Was not able to buy my "Dark End Dragon" due to lack of funds
Double OTK
Crap from Booster Packs
Was not able to find any "Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer" to complete my deck

Stay tuned for the upcoming post: Deck Analysis: "Gladiator Beast"

No comments:

Post a Comment