Sunday, November 22, 2009

November Monthly Tournament Report

There I was ready and prepared for the November Monthly that was held yesterday. The tournament was not so much impressive as only thirty people attended the event. Started to scout for people and preview the decks they run. Finally was able to pass my deck sheet to the judges and waited for the Swiss pairings.

I was running Blackwings inspired by the first SJC this new format and ran an almost similar build with a little bit of tweak here and there to specifically counter the meta in the Philippines. The Side deck was majorly modified for this purpose. I missed a lot of cards for my side due to financial reasons. Deck list is at the bottom if you are interested to see it.

Nothing was stopping me now and I was paired for my first match of Swiss.

Blackwings v.s. Morphtronic OTK
Game 1
I rolled in first, was able to get Blackwing - Shura the Blue Flame and Black Whirlwind in my opening hand. I then played both to search for Gale. Set down Bottomless Trap Hole and Mystical Space Typhoon and ended my turn. He begins with playing Morphtronic Cellfon. He was activated its effect for a Morphtronic Scopen. He then used Morphtronic Scopen for a Morphtronic Boarden and proceeded to Synchro Summon all for a Power Tool Dragon. Needless to say I activated my face down Bottomless and proceeded to swarm him the following turn.

Game 2
I opened bad with 2 Blackwing - Sirocco the Dawn and 2 Blackwing - Shura the Blue Flame and a Mirror Force. I played the Blackwing - Shura the Blue Flame and set the Mirror Force to end my turn. He opened god and somehow got Morphtronic Slingen on his equation of his FTK and then proceed to FTK me as expected.

Game 3
Opening hand was okay. In the middle of the duel, he Torrential Tribute my 2 Blackwings and Was able to Synchro for a Power Tool Dragon and attached two Equip Spells in it and he set a card face down. I already had a Brain Control in my hand and topped Caius the Shadow Monarch for game.

2-1, 1-0

Blackwings v.s. HyperWell Synchro
Game 1
Opened with 2 Black Whirlwinds and 2 Royal Oppression. My Blackwing - Bora the Spear was not able to pierce his Gravekeeper's Spy. I cannot activate my Royal Oppression in response to this, and he played Heavy Storm to wipe my field. I topped my third Black Whirlwind and he proceeded to mow me down with Thunder King Rai-Oh.

Game 2
Opened decent. He again pushed for +1 with his Gravekeeper's Spy. He was able to Synchro a Colossal Fighter and I misplayed by activating my Blackwing - Kalut the Moon Shadow. By this time I ran out of options and the Colossal Fighter beat me to a pulp. I had a Blackwing - Blizzard the Far North in my hand and could have Synchro Summoned for a Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier, but unfortunately, I did not have one in my Extra Deck due to financial reasons.

0-2, 1-1

Blackwings v.s. Stun
Game 1
He caught me off guard by activating his Mirror Force, resulting in a +2. My only Blackwing - Sirocco the Dawn was Removed from play by his D.D. Warrior Lady. He then proceeded to Summon Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer and removed my Blackwing - Vayu the Emblem of Honor from the game, turning the tide in his favor and finally resulting in his victory.

Game 2
I opened with 2 Black Whirlwinds and a Shura. The amount of +1's I was able to acquire from those two Black Whirlwinds was too much that he was not able to get the chance at the momentum. I won the duel.

Game 3
In the near end of the duel in my favor, He Brain Control my Bora, Normal Summoned a Krebons and planned to Synchro Summon using my Bora. I responded with a Book of Moon, targeting Krebons. He called a judge to see if the move was legal or not. The judge ruled over that it was and he was not able to recover from it.

2-1, 2-1

Blackwings v.s. Crystal Beast
Game1
Hoo boy this was a lucky pairing. Whatever play I make puts immediate pressure on my opponent. He tries to Ram his Crystal Beast Topaz Tiger to my Sirocco but I activated Icarus Attack in response. He tries to use Crystal Beacon to Special Summon Crystal Beast Sapphire Pegasus but I responded with Royal Oppression. Without any more options in his disposal, I easily won over him.

Game 2
The same as game 1, and this was easier as I had Heavy Storm in my opening hand. And we all know what happens when Heavy Storm pushes through with Crystal Beasts.

2-0, 3-1

Blackwings v.s. Blackwings
Game 1
I was surprised to duel against a mirror for the first time. I got Vayu and Sirocco in the graveyard via Dark Grepher early in the game for a Blackwing Armed Wing. He then summoned Sirocco and also used his Vayu to get his Blackwing Armed Wing, then activated his Sirocco's effect, stealing all the attack of all the monsters on the field. I thought it was over for me until I topped Brain Control and did the same, this time Special Summoning Bora and ending the duel with Kalut for the game push.

Game 2
We dueled and everything was equal until he had a Colossal Fighter out with just a card in his hand and no set cards. I have 5 cards, one of them was Blizzard and had a Bora or Shura on the grave. I didn't have Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier in my Extra Deck... He only had less than 4000 LP left.

Game 3
Midway through the duel, I summon Dark Armed Dragon, set Torrential Tribute and Mystical Space Typhoon.. His back row was clear. He Mind Control my Dark Armed Dragon and proceed to destroy everything in my field. He summoned a Monster and attacked for game.

1-2, 3-2

Closing Thoughts: Sad that I could have won the last match if I had Brionac in my Extra Deck. Also realized that what maybe Tier 1 over at one country might not be the same tier 1 deck at another. Finally, I realized that Colossal Fighter is one of the most annoying Synchro Monsters out there.

I was able to get to 12th place, after getting cut to top 8. In light of that, I get a consolation prize of 1 Raging Battle booster pack, only to get Morphtronic Repair Unit as my rare.

Props:
Was able to see people cosplay since the tournament was held at an anime convention
OCG Black Rose Dragon
Completed play set of Book of Moon
3 Posters of Raging Battle
Making it to top 12 in the first tournament scene of my Blackwing Deck
Pulled Blackwing - Kalut the Moonshadow in my first entry pack

Slops:
Got a bit lost on the way to the event
Air conditioning at event was too cold
Lost a lot matches due to lack of Brionac
Colossal wrecked me bad
Pulled Morphtronic Repair Unit as my rare on my consolation pack
Terrible Traffic on the way home and an unfortunate event happened along the way
Tired to even move a muscle as I plop on my bed
One Brionac away from Top 8

List:

Monsters (21)
3 Blackwing - Sirocco the Dawn
3 Blackwing - Shura the Blue Flame

3 Blackwing - Bora the Spear

3 Blackwing - Kalut the Moon Shadow

1 Blackwing - Gale the Whirlwind

2 Blackwing - Blizzard the Far North

2 Blackwing - Vayu the Emblem of Honor

2 Dark Grepher
1 Plaguespreader Zombie

1 Dark Armed Dragon

Spells (11)
3 Black Whirlwind
2 Allure of Darkness

2 Book of Moon

1 Heavy Storm

1 Mystical Space Typhoon

1 My Body as A Shield
1 Brain Control

Traps (9)
2 Bottomless Trap Hole
1 Torrential Tribute

1 Mirror Force

1 Call of the Haunted

2 Icarus Attack

2 Royal Oppression


Extra Deck (9)
1 Sea Dragon Lord
Gishilnodon
1 Gaia Knight, the Force of Earth

1 Goyo Guardian

1 Blackwing Armed Wing

1 Blackwing Armor Master

1 Black Rose Dragon

1 Stardust Dragon
1 Colossal Fighter

1 Blackwing - Silverwind the Ascendant


Side Deck
1 Caius the Shadow Monarch
1 Book of Moon
1 My Body as A Shield

1 Lightning Vortex
1 Fissure
2 Mirror of Oaths
2 Trap Stun

1 Trap Dustshoot
2 Dust Tornado

No comments:

Post a Comment