Monday, October 12, 2009

October 10, 2009 visit at the locals - Tournament Report

The stage was set and everything was in order. Deck list. Check. Decks, check. Game mat, check. Dice and notebook, check. Calculator, check. This was the grand debut of me and my brother's deck in our locals, finally after we deemed it to be "playable" to some extent. The first player to use the deck was my brother, and he was ready to face whatever was thrown at him. Or so we thought.

I. First Tournament (Over 20 Participants)
First Match:
V.S.
Junk and Debris versus Gadget Monarch

This game started with me not yet still on the venue. According to my brother, he was overrun by the massive amount of Fissures and Smashing Ground and he couldn't summon Stardust Dragon for some reason.

(0-2 match)(0-1 total)

Second Match:
V.S.
Junk and Debris versus Dark Variant

*I came around midway this match.*

Game 1
Junk and Debris was able to quickly summon Stardust Dragon and despite the Necro Gardnas who were sent to the graveyard by Dark Grepher, the opponent was not able to recover and my brother ended up taking game 1.

Game 2
My brother opened god and was able to send almost all the Neo-Spacians on his graveyard as early as turn one, and proceeded to bash the opponent with Neo-Spacian Grand Mole and Cyber Dragon.

(2-0 match)(1-1 total)

Third Match
V.S.
Junk and Debris versus DHZ Tele-DAD

Game 1
The match started out intensely, with both players countering each other with their Traps. My brother dropped a Dark Armed Dragon and proceeded to wipe out the opponent's side of the field. On the opponent's next turn, he also dropped his own Dark Armed Dragon and played Brain Control for game.

Game 2
Also an intense duel, the match was dominated by Tele-DAD at the early game until my brother topped Heavy Storm. My brother then quickly summoned Stardust Dragon and proceeded to swing for three straight times against his opponent. The opponent was able to react but it was too late.

Game 3
The match that would determine who will win, I switch on to spectating the Tele-DAD's side of play this time. My brother was able to summon a Goyo Guardian early in the game only to be responded with by a Torrential Tribute. Despite the powerful draw engine of the opponent, he was unable to counter a Stardust Dragon with Neo-Spacian Grand Mole locking him. They then quickly shook hands and the match was over.

It was interesting to see that the Tele-DAD player was not scooping and stayed to calculate the damage until the very end. He was one of the duelists in my locals whom I look up to for his sportsmanship.

(2-1 Match)(2-1 Total)

In the end, my brother was cut and was 9th in the run, despite his record of 2-1. A very interesting and insightful first time tournament for us, despite not being able to reach top 8. The people were really friendly and showed sportsmanship.

Props:
Asian-English Blackwing Armor Master UtR for $10 or 500 PhP
Japanese Dark Armed Dragon for $6 or 300 PhP
First time experience in tournaments
Players were very good and friendly
Was able to enjoy my final duels with Oliver and his Dual Zombie deck

Slops:
Learning that Japanese Blackwing Arms Wing already costs $18 each. Thanks Rodrigo Togores
I ran second batch using the same Junk and Debris deck, scoring 0-2 and ended up dropping
My friend who was looking for Helmet Cat was not able to buy one because it was too expensive for a common

My run for the second batch will be posted in another time, even though I ran bad with 0-2. Stay tuned for it. In the end, what was important was that everyone had fun playing the game they love.

No comments:

Post a Comment