Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Rants of a Perplexed Duelist

Time flies really fast.

It has already been a whole format since I started going back to playing "Yu-Gi-Oh!". At first, I was unaware that the TCG is totally incompatible with the OCG. I began starting rants about the two not being interchangeable despite being the same all in all. After finally understanding that both entities cannot simply coexist in tandem, I was forced up to spend a lot of money to convert and build my deck from the OCG. This was the start of my long and tedious journey.


Next stop was to find a place where people gather and play. As I found out the local forum in which people from the Philippines who play "Yu-Gi-Oh!" flock, I signed up for an account. I was unaware of what was in store for me. I found out that Organized Play support for the Philippines was nonexistent. As I checked other forums such as Pojo, I found out all about the Konami and Upper Deck lawsuit and was convinced that it was because of that that there is zero support for Organized Play in the Philippines.

But I was wrong. Dead wrong.

It so happens that there was no support even before the lawsuit. Also, even if it was affected in any way because of that, it would not have any effect at all in the first place since the Philippines is OCG territory, meaning that Upper Deck has nothing to do with anything at all in regards to handling tournament support here. I was flustered, and started ranting in the local forum regarding them selling the products here but is not officially sanctioned by Konami.

I was then calmed down by the post of the store owner that said that the Philippines is due for tournament support soon. This made me believe that support for the Philippines will be present for this format or the next. After all, what is the use of playing competitive "Yu-Gi-Oh!" if there is nonexistent support in the first place. Might as well roll dice and see who rolls a higher number to determine the winner.

I patiently waited. Six whole months of casual unsanctioned tournaments with the local folk. As a consolation prize, most of them were cool and fun to be with so I guess everything was not so bad.

From now, in a few more weeks' time, a new format will emerge. Singapore and Malaysia's regionals were already finished. Multiple Shonen Jumps and regionals were already held at the West. But there is still no sign of official tournament support coming from the local store.

Promises are made to be broken, I guess. How much longer do I have to wait for the much awaited support? It is starting to be bothersome and I seriously do not want to partake in any more unsanctioned tournaments that are going to be held. The whole idea is pointless.

When September comes and official support is still nonexistent, it is time to abandon ship.

4 comments:

  1. Are you going to quit playing it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One format more to wait out. If nothing else happens then yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what cards are officially used here in the philippines? ocg or tcg? tnx for the reply.. btw, i love ur blogs! keep em coming

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are able to use both the OCG and TCG interchangeably.

    ReplyDelete